It’s July in New York! It’s such a fun time of year to celebrate our nation and to be outside. If you struggle with sinus issues, New York’s humidity could be causing you problems, and it’s not a fun time at all. July’s humidity in New York can be brutal. Current Results explains Humidity Levels in Yew York During July. The average relative humidity percentage in July is 74% in the morning.
Extreme humidity, as we experience in New York, can wreak havoc on your sinuses. Extreme humidity causes the cilia (the little hairs that coat mucous membranes) not to function normally. The cilia are responsible for moving your mucus over their surfaces. When they are not working correctly and moving mucus, it gets trapped in your sinuses and bacteria can invade your sinuses. This invasion causes inflammation, which results in painful sinus issues.
Naturally Helping Your Sinus Problems Related To High Humidity
- Drink plenty of water. Hydration helps your body in many ways during the summer months. Water also helps to keep your sinuses moist.
- Avoid caffeinated or alcoholic drinks, which can cause dehydration.
- Eat foods that may help clear your sinuses. Hot peppers, mustard, curry, horseradish, and wasabi may help.
- Give your nasal passage a saline wash. By flushing your nasal passage, it will thin your mucus and help clean it.
- Apply a warm compress to help keep your nasal passage moist.
New York Sinusitis Treatment
Dr. Greg Levitin takes a comprehensive approach to diagnose and treat your sinus problems. Contact his New York Sinusitis Treatment office today to arrange your first appointment.